How to Record your desktop in Ubuntu/Linux with Record My Desktop

Why record your desktop? 
Recording the desktop activities for some moments will make you a video of your desktop transitions in that time. But what is special with it? Yes, there is something special. I wanted to make a tutorial video, instructions depicting in my desktop and wanted to upload it to youtube so that others can get benefited. You can create spectacular videos with instructions to do something recording your desktop activities so that others can easily understand what to do step by step in an easy manner. And viewing something is easier to learn than reading it, right? So, I tried to get a software so that I can record my desktop. There are numerous applications available to achieve this for Windows and Mac. I found one named Record my Desktop for Linux which elegantly serves my purpose. Here I am going to tell you how you can install and use Record my Desktop to make videos of your desktop activity. I am using a Ubuntu box and my tutorial will be based on it.
1. First install Record my Desktop to your computer. Open the Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and type the following:
sudo apt-get install gtk-recordmydesktop
2. After installation completes, run the application by typing recordmydesktop in the terminal. Alternatively you can use Unity panel to search for Recordmydesktop and then start it.
3. Select the window area which you want to record or select whole desktop as the recording space.
4. you can stop the recording by pressing ctrl-c or in gui-front just click record, and just click the white square on system tray to stop.
5. The application outputs your screen recorded video to a .ogg file. To convert it into .avi, you can use mencoder.
6. To install mencoder, type the following into your terminal and hit enter:
sudo apt-get install mencoder
7. Now to convert the ogg video named as suppose 'input.ogg' for examples shake to an avi video named output.avi, run the following command to the terminal:
mencoder -idx input.ogg -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -o output.avi
Now you can record your desktop easily and can create awesome tutorials and upload to websites like Youtube or whatever you want.
Time-saving Tip: Check the 'Encode on the fly' option to save time for encoding videos after recording. To do so, Click on 'Advanced' button, then in the new window, go to 'Performance' tab and Check the 'Encode on the Fly' option. 

Hope this helps you. Enjoy!!!
Time-saving tips screenshots: